Saturday, November 20, 2004

Zen and the Art of the Koncho

A rock solid approach to understanding and erradicating the dastardly Koncho epidemic.*

You know the crack of your ass? Often referred to as 'poopshoot' or 'the Great Divide?' You know that crack? Ya, well, Japanese children LOVE to stick their fingers up that crack. Not their own. No, that wouldn't be disgusting enough. Your crack. My crack. My friends' cracks, and probably even more cracks than that! This strange custom is called the "Koncho."

I have a very short list of dislikes about Japan.
1. Nato - I can't believe that much snot is readily available. For consumption.
2. The Koncho - You can pick your friends, and you can pick your ass, but you can't pick your friends' ass. Or your teachers', for that matter.

Roughly translated, koncho means "illigitimate enema." That is probably the worst translation of all time. The kids make a fake gun with their fingers, and shove it up my butt! If I could translate the word Koncho, and I think I can, I would call it a "Foul proud that invokes immediate anger." Its lightyears beyond what I was used to as a kid, the "purple nurple." A short squeeze of the nipple was always sure to get a chuckle. Let me tell you, there ain't no one having a laugh after a koncho.

One of my first days teaching in Japan, I found myself in a nursery school with about 30 little, adorable children. Honestly, Japanese children are dolls - so sweet. But big heads. Really big heads. Not unlike a weather balloon. Anyways, I thought I'd start the class off with the tried and true ABCs. Bending over to write on their frustratingly low whiteboard, I wasn't even past E when I heard this little voice holler "Konchoooooo!" and soon after a quick, violent poke was applied to my scphincter. The E I was drawing turned into an erratic scribble (an artistic expression of the rage that ignited within me) and I instinctively swatted backwards at the attacker, knocking him about 5 feet back. Tears followed.

Should I feel sorry for that mini-pervert? Um, how 'bout no?! He purposely popped me in the butt! That's my scphincter little man! Did you want a hug for doing that? A candy? YUCK!

I have since engaged in some rather interesting dialogues with various other 'victims' of the Koncho. We've tried, in vain, to understand why, in god's sacred name, Japanese children like to do this. No concrete conclusions have yet to be reached, but what is amusing to consider are the many solutions we have developed in order to erradicate the Koncho. The art of avoiding it, Lettermen style.

10. The Ol' Hat Toss
Throw their hats out the window. Sorry Swagman, that's a stupid solution. Never worked, and just got them riled up. After a while they were throwing their own hats out of the windows, and laughing in glee as they konchoed one another while they ran out to pick them up.

9. The Ol' Watergun
Again, Swagman, very lame. Although I do give you full points for actually bringing a supersoaker with you into class, it didn't really work, did it? Squeeze, squeeze, laugh, laugh, grab, grab, and the soak their entire art collection on the wall. Nice one.

8. The Ol' Walk-Out
I've only done this twice, and it has worked as a temporary solution. If I act upset enough and leave, they seem to get the point. I don't like doing it really, cause its pretty harsh, and they are afterall, little dolls. And hey, no one else is sticking their fingers up my ass, so...um, what gives them the right...I'll find my own poke, thank you very much...ok. Moving on.

7. The Ol' Run Away
As I am singing my trademark farewell song after class, I point into the distance with a surprised look on my face and run like the wind. Scphincter intact.

6. The Ol' Electric Current
I think this could be groovy. Its bound to backfire though, and you might get a strong electric Koncho by accident. Could easily be substituted with a mousetrap.

5. The Ol' Paper Mache Ass
Although this has yet to be tried, to my knowledge at least, I think this is a fantastic idea. Just another ass, protecting the real pot of gold. They could be hanging off of it, hands stuck way up there, and I wouldn't miss a step.

4. The Ol' Gross Out
I have told my students that spiders that live in my butt. And a small "oni" (devil) will bite their dirty little fingers off. Of course, this is in broken Japanese, but it seems to distract them long enough for me to back myself up against a wall.

3. The Ol' Smack Upside the Head
O.K., not all-together "lawsuit" free, but HIGHLY effective. I see it as a way to prevent them from unnecessary bar fights in the future, when the risk is high of Konchoing an unsuspecting Yakuza (ganster) and getting totally pumelled. Or, into an uncomfortable night at a Love Hotel. I am here to teach, am I not?

2. The Ol' Switcheraoo
After they Koncho you, scream at the top of your lungs and look as frightening as possible. It scares the hell out of them. Like psychological testing, they will learn that popping the butthole results in a horrendous fury. And then, when they give me a hug, I'll smile and offer them a candy. Oh, they will learn.

1. The Ol' Crap in Shorts
Perhaps, if you are not keen on soiling yourself on purpose, you could bag some doggy doo-doo on the way to class and leave it down there. Gross? Yes, I think so too. But whatever works. Heck, why not just fill the supersoaker with shit next time Joel? That might be a successful combination.

The hyprocryte in me would now like to say a few words. Since experiencing the dreaded Koncho more times than I wish to reveal, I too have started giving Konchos. Its a sick way to vent my frustrations - to avenge my yin yang, if you will - and I do apologize to all who have been subjected. I can't help it though. Someone bends over, and its an instinctual reaction now. My hands clamp together in the fake gun formation, and in they go! I realize this doesn't contribute to the Zen in the title, but hopefully the top ten will. And I don't think I have a problem with it. Unless I start asking the kids, "Hold it in there for a moment - oh ya - ok now slowly...oooh." Right. I'll stop there.


* Although not yet proven to be physically infectious, it is most definitely a sick psychological epidemic. In the words of the gurus down at the Pringles Factory, "Once you 'pop', you can't stop."

9 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

See, this is what I missed out on by not teaching so many kids in Japan, Harrison-sama. I'm glad you've informed, enlightened, titillated (?) me. And I'm glad to know by reading your profile that you, too, appreciate the underappreciated genius that is Chevy Chase. When is that man going to get a career resurgence a la Bill Murray? And where is Chevey's RUSHMORE? And how's the nanpa? Keep up the good work, my young Padawaan apprentice samurai sorta-guy, and, mochiron, sake ga nomeru zo!!! (Oh, and do you think 'Koncho' would have worked on the CI bus heading to OFSAA with Dave Lee and Alex Och? I think Cookie Jarvis would have thrived with it. Oh, the opportunities we missed...)

6:02 PM  
Blogger Josh Young said...

That was a damn funny one mate. I`ve been waiting for an excuse to shit me pants at school, now I have one.

9:07 PM  
Blogger ジョエル said...

The super soaker was a mistake, I admit. I always liked the old hat out the window policy. Shoes and socks can be substituted if need be. I once went as far as to foricibly take off a shirt and throw it out the window. that caused tears on the part of the young boy involved, but sometimes you have to be a bit mean.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Harrison
You make me laugh. I can't wait until you come home so I may try this new custom on a vetran! Please don't place poop in your drawers...
Bethany

3:51 PM  
Blogger Mad Hatter said...

Aaaa, aaaa, aaaaa, konchoooooo!!

Bless you!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Princess Blogonoke said...

Oh my gosh. This is hilarious. I almost had a hernia stifling my laugh while my cousin's children are sleeping. Frickin' hilarious. I have to share this with the world.

Thank you for the gut busting laugh.

1:04 PM  
Blogger ghkj said...

I would gold für wow cultivate courage.buy wow gold “Nothing is so mild wow gold cheap and gentle as courage, nothing so cruel and pitiless as cowardice,” syas a wise author. We too often borrow trouble, and anticipate that may never appear.”wow gold kaufen The fear of ill exceeds the ill we fear.” Dangers will arise in any career, but presence of mind will often conquer the worst of them. Be prepared for any fate, and there is no harm to be freared. If I were a boy again, I would look on the cheerful side. life is very much like a mirror:sell wow gold if you smile upon it,maple mesos I smiles back upon you; but if you frown and look doubtful on it,cheap maplestory mesos you will get a similar look in return. Inner sunshine warms not only the heart of the owner,world of warcraft power leveling but of all that come in contact with it. “ who shuts love out ,in turn shall be shut out from love.” If I were a boy again, I would school myself to say no more often.billig wow gold I might cheap mesos write pages maple meso on the importance of learning very early in life to gain that point where a young boy can stand erect, and decline doing an unworthy act because it is unworthy.wow powerleveling If I were a boy again, I would demand of myself more courtesy towards my companions and friends,wow leveling and indeed towards strangers as well.Maple Story Account The smallest courtesies along the rough roads of life are wow powerleveln like the little birds that sing to us all winter long, and make that season of ice and snow more endurable. Finally,maple story powerleveling instead of trying hard to be happy

4:57 PM  
Blogger jimmychooshoes said...

Jimmy Choo China strappy sandals
Jimmy Choo Patent leather sandals
Christian Louboutin - Declic leather pumps
Christian Louboutin Very Jaws 140 pumps
mcqueen shoes
alexander mcqueen heels
Alexander McQueen Store
Jimmy Choo sale
Replica jimmy choo shoes
manolo blahnik online store
manolo shoes
manolo blahnik sale
replica christian louboutin shoes
discount christian louboutin shoes
alexander mcqueen shoes
jimmy choo outlet
jimmy choos
jimmy shoes
Manolo Blahnik Shoes
christian shoes

7:54 PM  
Blogger Friday said...

The christian louboutin heels is designed for the ladies. Since the pumps was born, the ladies life become colorful. The christian louboutin evening pumps are the god's masterwork. Who invited thechristian louboutin pumps? Seldom people knew, but I think every lady would be grateful for him. Among the countless pumps, the christian louboutin peep toe is the most outstanding ones. The elegant pattern, the delicate style all mold the ladies perfect leg profile. Flowers in the spring of 2011 creeping, up from hair to clothes continue to footwear, have had a brilliant up. In such a glamor, spring and summer flowers now here. Romance is a woman's mood, exquisite flowers just right of expression in our gestures, the woman, how can we not love the romantic temperament so that they distributed the flowers do? 2011 flowers bloom will enjoy different poses! The Christian Louboutin 2011 Sandals also can adds the hright of the ladies, it bring surprise to the short lady. Especially the red sole of the louboutin heels, magic and sexy, many ladies are crazy. The red sole, the first feature of the Christian Louboutin stroe.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home